Period home insulation

How to best insulate your Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian house.

Living in a period house full of character is a lovely thing to do, unfortunatley however one of the downsides of  older homes is they are poorly insualted , and can be cold and draughty unless property insulated.
To make your period home warmer you need to talk to experts and Coopers have a lot of experience insulating period homes wether it is Georgian, Victorian or Edwardian.
There are many steps you can take to make your period house warmer and many older properties can achieve a significant saving on the fossil fuels they already use by introducing basic insulation.
Below are some steps we advise you take to make your period house warmer.

1. Old period house, attic insulation

Over 30% of heat escapes through your attics Top up your loft insulation  . 30% of a home’s heat can be lost through a loft; this is reduced to just 3% after adding more insulation.

2. Draught-proof doors and windows
Draught-proof doors and windows as up to 30% of a home’s heat can be lost through these entries. Take care to ensure a level of ventilation is maintained, however, so only block the most noticeable draughts.

3 Improve insulation to sloping ceilings

If your first floor (or second floor in a three-storey period house) rooms have a sloping part, this is often because plasterboard has been fitted to allow cold air to circulate above and ventilate the rafters. This can lead to phenomenal heat loss if not insulated properly, so fit insulation boards and re-plaster. This can be expensive but makes a big difference to the warmth and thus comfort of a room.

4. External wall insulation

External wall insulation

External Wall Insulation (EWI) is fitted to the exterior of the home and can be finished in a range of textures and colours. It is sometimes referred to a wrap around insulation as it wraps your home in Insulation. There are SEAI grants available for this External Wall Insulation of up to €4,500 depending on property type.

5. Internal wall insulation

Internal Wall Insulation (IWI) also known as Dry-lining is fitted to the internal walls of your home. It is finished in a coat of plaster that is ready for you to add a coat of your favourite colour paint. There are SEAI grants available for this Internal Wall Insulation of up to €2,400 depending on property type.


6. Double and secondary glazing
Heat escapes rapidly through windows, too. Double glazing remains a problem in listed buildings, but new frames-as well as secondary glazing-will give's new life to your building.If neither double nor secondary glazing appeal, at least consider replacing original glass, which will be extremely thin. And remember that old frames can warp, letting in cold air. Specialists can remove sashes and fit them with recessed brush strips, as well as replacing putty.

7. Air tight taping

Air leakage is a loss or gain of air in and out of a building. This happens unintentionally when constructing the outer perimeter of the building and typically will take place through:

  • Joints, gaps and cracks in construction
  • Gaps created around windows and doors
  • Gaps where services enter and exit the building

A survey is carried out by Cooper Insulation to determine what needs to be done to meet the architects/engineers requirements and current building regulations.


Your Name:

Other services

Cacity wall Insulation
Spay Foam
Attic insulation
Industrial insulation
External Insulation
Dry lining
Solar Panels
AirTight systems
Energy Management
Soffit Insulation
Timber insulation